![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
![]() |
. | ![]() |
. |
![]() by Staff Writers Seoul (AFP) Feb 7, 2016
North Korea launched a long-range rocket Sunday, triggering fresh outrage from an international community already determined to punish Pyongyang for a nuclear test last month. Here are five questions and answers on what lies behind the global concern over what North Korea insists is a purely scientific space programme. -- What exactly was launched on Sunday? North Korea says it was a space launch vehicle (SLV) carrying an Earth observation satellite. South Korea says it was a long-range missile. The argument is not so much about the precise specifications of the rocket itself, but about North Korea's real intentions. Any orbital SLV employs dual-use technology with potential military, as well as civilian, applications. The US and allies like South Korea insist that North Korea uses such rocket launches to test out ballistic missile technology with a view to developing an inter-continental ballistic missile (ICBM) capable of delivering a nuclear warhead to the US mainland. Pyongyang says its space programme is scientific in nature. -- Doesn't North Korea have the right to a space programme? Pyongyang certainly thinks so, but UN sanctions imposed in 2006 as part of efforts to curb North Korea's nuclear weapons programme prohibit any testing of missile delivery systems. The UN Security Council deems space rocket launches a violation of that ban. North Korea's main diplomatic protector, China, comes down on both sides of the fence, backing the North's right to space exploration but acknowledging that it must abide by UN resolutions. North Korea put a satellite in orbit with its first successful rocket launch in December 2012. But experts say the satellite has never functioned -- fuelling suspicions about the mission's scientific veneer. -- How close is North Korea to developing a working ICBM? In some of its more bellicose statements, North Korea has laid claim to already possessing the ability to strike the US mainland. Most experts, but not all, reject the idea, insisting that the North is still years away from a credible ICBM strike capability. While successful rocket launches will have pushed its ballistic missile programme forward, the North has shown no indication of mastering the re-entry technology needed to deliver a warhead as far as the United States. There are also questions as to whether it has managed to miniaturise a nuclear device to the extent that it would fit on the tip of a missile. -- What happens now? The UN Security Council is to meet in emergency session and the US and its allies will push for fresh sanctions on North Korea. But the Security Council has yet to agree on sanctions over the North's January 6 nuclear test, and China, with its veto power, has been resisting efforts to punish Pyongyang too severely. There will likely be a surge in tensions on the Korean peninsula, especially after Seoul announced it would enter formal discussions with Washington on the possible deployment of an advanced US missile defence system in the South. -- What does North Korea want to happen? North Korea will hope the successful nuclear test and rocket launch will help bring the US to the negotiating table, where Pyongyang hopes it can extract concessions. It has already announced its intention to carry out more satellite launches in the future. The United States has ruled out engaging the North until it makes a tangible commitment to de-nuclearisation, but critics say this policy of "strategic patience" has given Pyongyang the room to push ahead with its nuclear weapons programme.
Related Links Microsat News and Nanosat News at SpaceMart.com
|
|
The content herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2024 - Space Media Network. All websites are published in Australia and are solely subject to Australian law and governed by Fair Use principals for news reporting and research purposes. AFP, UPI and IANS news wire stories are copyright Agence France-Presse, United Press International and Indo-Asia News Service. ESA news reports are copyright European Space Agency. All NASA sourced material is public domain. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. All articles labeled "by Staff Writers" include reports supplied to Space Media Network by industry news wires, PR agencies, corporate press officers and the like. Such articles are individually curated and edited by Space Media Network staff on the basis of the report's information value to our industry and professional readership. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by Space Media Network on any Web page published or hosted by Space Media Network. General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Statement Our advertisers use various cookies and the like to deliver the best ad banner available at one time. All network advertising suppliers have GDPR policies (Legitimate Interest) that conform with EU regulations for data collection. By using our websites you consent to cookie based advertising. If you do not agree with this then you must stop using the websites from May 25, 2018. Privacy Statement. Additional information can be found here at About Us. |