Space News from SpaceDaily.com
Dozens of German universities turn back on X accounts
Berlin, Jan 10 (AFP) Jan 10, 2025
Dozens of German universities said on Friday they would no longer use social network X -- owned by the world's richest man, Elon Musk -- citing ethical concerns.

More than 60 German universities and academic institutions said in a joint statement that X was now incompatible with their principles.

"The platform's current direction is not compatible with the basic values of the institutions concerned -- openness to the world, scientific integrity, transparency and democratic discourse", they said.

Musk took over the platform, previously known as Twitter, in 2022 before firing about 80 percent of its staff, including those at content moderation teams.

Researchers say the site has turned into a haven for misinformation.

Musk defended the changes in a 2023 interview with Britain's public broadcaster, the BBC, saying they were necessary given Twitter's dire finances.

He has also described himself as a "free speech absolutist", with a permissive attitude towards content on X.

Musk also caused controversy in Germany on Thursday for broadcasting a discussion with Alice Weidel, leader of the extreme-right Alternative for Germany (AfD) party.

Parts of the party have attracted the attention of Germany's domestic intelligence agency for possible right-wing extremism.

The academic institutions which signed Friday's statement include Berlin's Humboldt University and a number of faculties which had already stopped using X, such as Berlin's Freie Universitaet.

"Changes on the X platform make it untenable to use it any further," they said, citing as an example the use of algorithms to boost "right-wing populist" content.

Two universities in the Austrian city of Innsbruck also put their names to the statement, which said the withdrawal from X "underlines the institutions' efforts for the sake of fact-based communication and against anti-democratic forces".

The universities are the latest in a string of German institutions to announce they are abandoning X.

On Thursday, the Federal Court of Justice said it would no longer post on the site, as did several labour unions.

In recent months, other businesses and organisations, such as Bundesliga football team St Pauli and supermarket giant Aldi Nord, have also quit X.

The German government said it has no immediate plans to stop using the platform.

Government spokeswoman Christiane Hoffmann told a press conference on Friday: "We are very concerned about how X has developed but at the same time we have to constantly weigh up how we can reach people whom we otherwise wouldn't be able to address."

"For the moment we have decided to keep using our channels on X but it is a constant process of evaluation," she said.

jsk/vbw/gil

X


ADVERTISEMENT




Space News from SpaceDaily.com
China retrieves Long March 10 booster from South China Sea after test flight
International crew arrives at space station
Mars relay orbiter seen as backbone for future exploration

24/7 Energy News Coverage
Extreme heat flips strength rules for pure metals
Hydrogen bond design advances solar water oxidation efficiency
Illinois team outlines emit-then-add route to photonic graph states

Military Space News, Nuclear Weapons, Missile Defense
China tests AI satellite swarm for space-based computing
NRO expands commercial multi-phenomenology surveillance awards
Iran says US 'more realistic' on nuclear issue, as Guards begin drills in Hormuz Strait

24/7 News Coverage
Amazon deforestation drives hotter drier regional climate
Ancient trilobite shells reveal durable chitin and long term carbon storage
Artificial wetlands help clean runoff and support circular agriculture


All rights reserved. Copyright Agence France-Presse. Sections of the information displayed on this page (dispatches, photographs, logos) are protected by intellectual property rights owned by Agence France-Presse. As a consequence, you may not copy, reproduce, modify, transmit, publish, display or in any way commercially exploit any of the content of this section without the prior written consent of Agence France-Presse.