CHANNELS SERVICES | ![]() ![]()
North Korea said Friday that it was pushing ahead building military "deterrence" a day after US sources said the Stalinist state had admitted it possessed nuclear weapons. An editorial in Rodong Sinmun, the official newspaper of North Korea's ruling Workers Party, made no direct reference to the talks in Beijing at which US sources said the admission had been made. However it indicated that North Korea was taking a hard-line on its determination to build up its weapons stockpile. "Our strong military forces have emerged as the surest means to guarantee peace and prevent a war at this age of confusion," the daily said in an editorial monitored by South Korea's Yonhap news agency. "We will continue exerting all our efforts to build up defense and prepare military deterrence that will destroy any kind of enemy weapons and aggressions." US sources said North Korea's chief delegate to the first talks with the United States since the nuclear crisis erupted six months ago had admitted in Beijing that Pyongyang possessed nuclear weapons. The North Korean delegate Li Gun also told US envoy James Kelly that it had reprocessed thousands of spent fuel rods, and that it may test nuclear weapons, sell them abroad or even use them, according to some reports. The three-day talks which started Wednesday in Beijing were scheduled to end Friday. US envoy James Kelly and North Korea's delegation held a brief trilateral meeting with their hosts Friday, with Kelly expected to leave Beijing shortly, an American embassy spokesman said. In its editorial marking the 71st anniversary of the creation of the Korean People's Army, Rodong said the army was battle-ready to destroy invaders. "The People's Army must keep up with their battle-ready preparedness to destroy whatever kind of maneuvers for invasion by imperialists." North Korea says it fears it is next in line following the US-led war on Iraq and accuses Washington of preparing a preemptive attack. Washington has said it wants to resolve the nuclear crisis through diplomacy but is keeping all options open, including military action. All rights reserved. � 2004 Agence France-Presse. Sections of the information displayed on this page (dispatches, photographs, logos) are protected by intellectual property rights owned by Agence France-Presse. As a consequence, you may not copy, reproduce, modify, transmit, publish, display or in any way commercially exploit any of the content of this section without the prior written consent of Agence France-Presse. Quick Links ![]() ![]() Nov 02, 2006 ![]() |
![]()
|
The contents herein, unless otherwise known to be public domain, are Copyright 1995-2004 - SpaceDaily. AFP Wire Stories are copyright Agence France-Presse ESA Portal Reports are copyright European Space Agency. Additional copyrights may apply in whole or part to other bona fide parties. Advertising does not imply endorsement, agreement or approval of any opinions, statements or information provided by SpaceDaily on any web page published or hosted by SpaceDaily. Privacy Statement |